Live blog: Two children aged 5 and 9 among the injured | Eyewitness: ‘The victims have no chance, the truck crushed them’

112

One of the injured was taken to an ambulance © MediaTV

In Nieuw-Beijerland, a truck was driven into a party at a local ice club on Zuidzijdsedijk on Saturday evening. Six people have died.

What do we know so far?

  • A truck has driven into a group of people in Nieuw-Beijerland during a barbecue in an ice cream club.
  • There are at least six dead and seven (seriously) injured.
  • The condition of one of the injured is critical. Among the injured are also two children aged 5 and 9.
  • Three people killed come from one family.
  • One of the family members who died is an eight-month pregnant woman.
  • Hoeksche Waard municipality has opened an information line: 0800 – 647 36 47.

16:20 Two children aged 5 and 9 are among the injured

Among the seven victims who are in hospital after the drama in Zuidzijde are two children. This was announced by the police on Sunday afternoon. One of the injured is seriously injured. His or her condition is critical. Sixteen detectives investigate the background of the drama. They look at the truck’s technical condition and the driver’s medical condition at the time of the accident.

Police spokesperson Mirjam Boers: “It is certain that the driver had not been drinking, so we assume a fatal accident for the time being.” According to her, it turned out that the truck suddenly drove off the embankment from a stationary position. The driver of a white van, who was also in the intersection at the time, has since been questioned as a witness. He is not suspected of being involved in the accident. The accident happened around 6pm on Saturday. Zuidzijdsedijk is a narrow road where there are currently several signs due to road diversions. Could that possibly explain what went wrong? Boers: “I would completely disconnect that from what happened.”

15:55 Truck driver officially suspected, will be detained for 3 days.

15:10 The first flowers laid at the scene of deadly drama

The first flowers were laid on Sunday afternoon at the site where six people died.

14:55 Eyewitness drama: “I had just grabbed my plate and heard ‘what is he doing now???'”

Johan van Driel was on Saturday evening for a barbecue at IJsvereniging De Kom in Nieuw-Beijerland. Everyone in the association and in the neighborhood know each other well, he says. The grill will be etched in his memory forever. According to him, the driver of the lorry was in doubt whether to drive straight along Zuidzijdsedijk or turn left onto Langeweg. Finally he hit the gas and went straight ahead. According to Van Driel, the victims had no chance at all. “It’s like a movie; a truck that shoots out of the embankment. It’s all mass, it doesn’t stop anyone anymore. And I have to say, it crushes people who end up under a truck.”

See the entire interview with Johan van Driel here.

14:30 Reactions to the drama from across the country

People across the country are reacting to the drama in Nieuw-Beijerland. Mayor Fort van Oosten in the municipality of Nissewaard speaks of a ‘tragic situation with the neighbors across the street in Hoeksche Waard’. Prime Minister Rutte also expressed his support for the victims and relatives on Sunday afternoon.

13:52 Royal couple express their condolences

King Willem-Alexander and Queen Máxima are affected by the ‘terrible accident’ in Nieuw-Beijerland. They notify you on social media.

13:50 One of the killed honorary member football club TOGB

Football club TOGB from Berkel en Rodenrijs says on the website that one of the fatal victims of the drama is honorary member Arno Koot. In a statement, the club wrote:

“Deeply saddened and shocked by the death of honorary member Arno Koot, our thoughts go out to those closest to Arno. Arno Koot is one of the fatalities in the tragic truck incident that took place on August 27 in Nieuw Beijerland.

The match in the third division between TOGB and UNA on Sunday 28 August has been cancelled. All sporting activities, including the Padel Club Championships at Hoge Land, have been suspended. “Thoughts of the TOGB family are with his relatives and everyone involved. We wish everyone involved a lot of strength to cope with the loss of their loved one.”

13:40 Municipality organizes a press conference

Hoeksche Waard municipality will hold a press conference later on Sunday. An exact time is not yet known. The meeting will most likely be after

13:30 People put flowers where the truck drove into the crowd

People come to bring flowers on Zuidzijdsedijk in Nieuw-Beijerland. The public is moved and sometimes sobbing in each other’s arms, reports reporter Jelle Gunneweg.

12:15 Truck driver arrested for causing fatal traffic accident

The 46-year-old Spaniard who was driving the truck has been arrested for causing a road accident resulting in death and serious injury. He had not been drinking, the police said. “His role in the incident is being investigated. For now, we are keeping all scenarios of the facts open.”

The place where the drama happened, photographed on Sunday morning
The place where the drama happened, photographed on Sunday morning © Rijnmond

12:10 The victims are between 28 and 75 years old

The police have published the ages of those killed who fell on the Zuidzijddijk in Nieuw-Beijerland on Saturday evening. There are three men and three women. Their age is between 32 and 75 years.

– a 50-year-old man from Nieuw-Beijerland,

– a 32-year-old woman from Oud-Beijerland,

– a 75-year-old woman from Nieuw-Beijerland,

– a 41-year-old man from Goudswaard,

– a 28-year-old woman from Goudswaard,

– a 62-year-old man from Nieuw-Beijerland.

Three dead come from one family. Among them is an eight-month pregnant woman. Seven people are in hospital, including one in critical condition.

11.55 Transport company: lorry off the road after avoiding a van

Transport company El Mosca, one of which was involved, told Spanish newspaper La Verdad that the truck went off the road because it was trying to avoid a van. It may be the white van that the police were looking for shortly after the accident. The driver of the van has since reported to the police and has been interviewed as a witness.

11:10 Three dead from one family

In Bethelkerk in Oud-Beijerland, it was announced on Sunday morning that three people killed come from one family. It concerns a mother, her son and an eight-month-old daughter-in-law. The family was a member of Bethel Church.

10:26 – Police: six dead and seven injured

The drama on the Zuidzijdsedijk in Nieuw-Beijerland has cost six people their lives. This is according to the police. Seven people were injured. One of the injured is in critical condition. The police have not yet released anything about the identity of the victims.

The fatal collision is being investigated by a team of sixteen detectives. The truck driver who started driving from a standstill has been arrested. He had not been drinking alcohol, a spokesman said. It concerns a 46-year-old Spaniard from Murcia.

Police were still looking for the driver of a white van with an open body on Saturday evening. This person has since been located and heard as a witness.

10:15 – “I think that guy had a twist in his head”

A local resident who saw what happened on Saturday night does not understand why the Spanish truck driver drove his car down the embankment. The man is also a truck driver.

09:35 Kommune Hoeksche Waard opens information number

People who have questions after the fatal accident on Saturday evening can call 0800 – 647 36 47 or 14 01 86.

00:00 – Two instead of three dead

A press release from the police indicates that at least two people were killed, not three. In addition, several people were seriously injured. How much is not known. According to the police, the lorry drove out of the Zuidzijdsedijk while a barbecue by the local ice club was going on below. The truck hit several people.

Dozens of emergency services were on the scene. The truck has been impounded, the driver is being questioned. It concerns a 46-year-old man from Spain.

Dilan Yesilgöz-Zegerius, the Minister of Justice and Security, has now expressed his condolences to those involved.

Read Saturday evening’s live blog about the accident here:

Dilan Yesilgöz-Zegerius, the Minister of Justice and Security, has now also expressed his condolences to those involved.

Leave a Comment