Legacy of the week | Inheritance in the prizes

The winner of Geurt Brinkgreve Bokaal 2022 will be announced on December 8. Each year, the best heritage remediation and renovation projects are selected for this challenge trophy. The 3 projects nominated this year are EDGE Amsterdam West, Frederiksplein 1 and Koningsplein XXII.

The construction of the Social Fund’s Construction Industry. View from the viaduct at Einsteinweg. | Photo: JM Arsath Ro’is (21 February 1975), image bank Amsterdam City Archives (010122042536).

Fragrance Brinkgreve

The award owes its name to Geurt Brinkgreve (1917-2005), who was one of the first to stand up for the preservation of historic buildings in the city center, against the trend of demolition and large-scale new construction in the 1960s, 70s . and the 80s of the last century.

This challenge trophy goes to the builder of the best project where a new and appropriate function for a building has been realized and where the cultural and historical values ​​have been taken into account. In addition, the project must have added value for the spatial quality and give an impetus to the quality of life in the city. What is the history of the buildings nominated this year?

The SFB building from the air.  The 3 different building parts are clearly visible.  |  Photo: Archives of the Department of Spatial Planning (6 September 1979), image bank Amsterdam City Archives (B00000035334).The SFB building from the air. The 3 different building parts are clearly visible. | Photo: Archives of the Department of Spatial Planning (6 September 1979), image bank Amsterdam City Archives (B00000035334).

EDGE Amsterdam West

Basisweg 10 (New West) | Customer: EDGE | Architect: de Architekten Cie.

The first selected project is located near Sloterdijk station: EDGE Amsterdam West on Basisweg. This building because of its special and abstract form the aperots was built in 1974 as an office for SFB (Socialfonden Byggeindustri). The architect was Arnold Oyevaar (1922-2006) from the office Oyevaar, Stolle and Van Gool. Oyevaar designed an office according to the latest insights: no ‘space office’, but open and freely shareable office gardens, equal places where staff and management worked together. The various functions were housed in 3 building parts. In the taller, circular main building, the entrance and office floors were arranged around a central courtyard designed by Mien Ruys. The large meeting rooms, an auditorium and the company restaurant were housed in the lower triangular side building. The car park, which originally had a laundry hall, was given space in the extension behind. Friso Kramer designed the interior of the offices. Because it is not easy to orient oneself in a circle, the entrances and staircases were given different colors of glazed bricks. The use of bus hammered concrete in the remarkable staircases and the restaurant, the integrated lighting, the industrially manufactured aluminum facades and acoustic panels are very attractive. Artists were involved in creating works such as the ‘pillars of perception’ by Hans Hoebers and glass art by Marte Röling.

De Architecten Cie, of which the office Oyevaar, Stolle and Van Gool is the forerunner, has converted the office into EDGE Amsterdam West, which now houses various companies. The glass roof in the inner garden catches the eye, which has now created an atrium of 3000 m2. The jury recommended the project to Geurt Brinkgreve Bokaal, among other things, because of the preservation of the qualities of the existing building and the addition of new qualities and functionalities. Technically high quality, in a way that sweeps away all prejudices about ‘dated’ 1970s buildings, and with an impressive architectural commitment, the jury believes.

The office on Frederiksplein is visually divided in two and consists of brick with hard stone on the left and mainly aluminum and glass on the left.  At first there were 2 separate buildings on the site of the new office.  |  Photo: Nick.  Schuitvlot, Bouwkundig Weekblad 1967 via Het Nieuwe Instituut (STAA_f12-The office on Frederiksplein is visually divided in two and consists of brick with hard stone on the left and mainly aluminum and glass on the left. At first there were 2 separate buildings on the site of the new office. | Photo: Nick. Schuitvlot, Bouwkundig Weekblad 1967 via Het Nieuwe Instituut (STAA_f12-1a).

Frederiks Plads 1

Frederiksplein 1 (Centre) | Customer: Egeria | Architect: Kontor Winhov

The other project can be found in the city centre, on Frederiksplein. An office for an insurance bank was built here in 1967 at number 1. The designer of this building was Arthur Staal (1907-1993). IN 1961 First Dutch life and disability insurance company after the demolition of the plots Frederiksplein 1-13 and Utrechtsestraat 151 to build on the vacant plot with an office and associated garage. The building consists of 2 parts, with a narrow part on the corner of Utrechtsestraat and a deeper part on the Frederiksplein side. The new office came in a place where 2 other buildings had previously stood. Staal also reflected this dichotomy in the use of materials: one part is made of brick with hard stone bands, the other part consists mainly of aluminum and glass.

The building has outward-facing windows.  The new roundabout can also be clearly seen in the foreground of this photo.  |  Photo: Egidius van Dun Bouwkundig Weekblad 1967 via Het Nieuwe Instituut (STAA_f12-10a).The building has outward-facing windows. The new roundabout can also be clearly seen in the foreground of this photo. | Photo: Egidius van Dun Bouwkundig Weekblad 1967 via Het Nieuwe Instituut (STAA_f12-10a).

An entrance with a ramp was built on the Utrechtsedwarsstraat so that office workers could park their cars in the garage under the building. In addition, Staal has designed a characteristic triangular closed bay window that projects onto the Utrechtsestraat side. The building was also given revolving windows, for which separate permission was granted in 1966. These are clearly visible in the picture above, which also shows part of the tightly laid out Frederiksplein. Opposite the office building, the head office of De Nederlandsche Bank was built in 1968 with a new roundabout in front.

The office has recently been renovated by Office Winhov and adapted to the current owner Egeira. According to the jury of Geurt Brinkgreve Bokaal, the project demonstrates care, intelligence and dedication down to the smallest detail by using the original design not only as a material basis, but also as inspiration and a source of knowledge.

New England department store on the corner of Koningsplein and Singel, approx.  1904. |  Photo: Amsterdam City Archives image bank (FT00100174000001).New England department store on the corner of Koningsplein and Singel, approx. 1904. | Photo: Amsterdam City Archives image bank (FT00100174000001).

Koningsplein XXII

Koningsplein 2-14, Singel 468 (Centre) | Customer: asr real estate | Architect: Rappange & Partners architects

The third nominee is a complex on Koningsplein, which consists of various residential, retail and office buildings. One of these buildings, on the corner of Koningsplein and Singel, is a listed department store from 1899, designed by A. Jacot (1864-1927) and W. Oldewelt (1865-1906). It is built in a mixture of neo-baroque and art nouveau styles. The building has a partially hidden iron construction and the facade consists of large cast iron display windows, the frieze and Oberkirchner sandstone. The architects may have been inspired by the famous French department store Printemps in Paris from 1883, which has the same facade structure and corner tower with dome and lantern. The client for the construction of the department store on Koningsplein was NV Maatschappij Exploitatie Engros- en Retailzaken ‘Nieuw Engeland’. New England was a women’s, men’s and children’s clothing store. On the upper floors were offices and studios. In 1913-1914, the department store was partially renovated and various buildings were joined together. This renovation was also designed by A. Jacot. After New England closed its doors in the 1980s, the building was converted in 1990 into a supermarket.

Links Koningsplein 8 in 1912, even before the facade was modernized.  To the right, the New England department store, which was expanded in 1913-1914 with various neighboring buildings.  |  Photos: image bank Stadsarchief Amsterdam (ANWE00002000001 and B00000002598).Links Koningsplein 8 in 1912, even before the facade was modernized. To the right, the New England department store, which was expanded in 1913-1914 with various neighboring buildings. | Photos: image bank Stadsarchief Amsterdam (ANWE00002000001 and B00000002598).

The complex on Koningsplein that has been nominated also includes Koningsplein 8 and 12-14. From the end of the nineteenth century, there was a concentration of fashion and textile shops on Koningsplein. Koningsplein 8 is a municipal monument and dates from 1880. Architect Dolf van Gendt (1835-1901) designed this shophouse. The facade has now been completely modernized, but the charm of the original building is definitely still visible in the upper 2 floors. Koningsplein 12-14, also a municipal monument and shop, was built in 1914 by the same architect as the New England department store, A. Jacot. AF Herbermann’s men’s fashion warehouse was located here until 1951.

In recent years, the entire complex on Koningsplein has been renovated by Rappange & Partners architects into 19 homes and 4 shops. The jury in Geurt Brinkgreve Bokaal praises the project’s developer for successfully solving a complicated task, namely realizing a mixed program of shops and housing in a location in the heart of the city with great space pressure.

From the end of the nineteenth century, there was a concentration of fashion and textile shops on Koningsplein.  |  Photo: JM Arsath Ro'is (1970), image bank Amsterdam City Archives (010122017993).From the end of the nineteenth century, there was a concentration of fashion and textile shops on Koningsplein. | Photo: JM Arsath Ro’is (1970), image bank Amsterdam City Archives (010122017993).

Heritage of the week

Each week, the Heritage of the Week section focuses on a special archaeological find, site, object, monumental building or historical site in the city. Via the website amsterdam.nl/erfgoed, Twitter @arv020 and Facebook Monuments and Archeology the cultural heritage experts in Monuments and Archeology share the city’s heritage with Amsterdammers and other interested parties.

Banner photo: Historical images of the 3 selected projects of Geurt Brinkgreve Bokaal 2022. | Photos: image bank Amsterdam City Archives (PBKD00273000005, 010122029147, B00000035331).

Leave a Comment